Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cree led deterioration

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I was going to ask last week if Cree LED's deteriorated with age, but I
have just installed a new set of batteries (3x AAA) and it is back to
its full amazing power. I bought the little Cree torch around 8 years
ago in Aldi or Lidl and I was astounded by its intensity of its beam. I
guess I rather expected it to just rapidly dim as the batteries failed,
rather than the slow deterioration I got. A battery tester suggested
the batteries were still good.

I would have expected it to produce the same light output then deteriorate
rapidly as the batteries reach the end of their life.

Only LEDs I've had which deteriorated - rather than fail - were some cheap
warm white low current types. They got dimmer and dimmer - despite being
conservatively driven.

--
*You're never too old to learn something stupid.
Dave Plowman London SW