Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default New driveway - how long to keep concrete wet?

On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 2:34:54 AM UTC-4, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Mon 04 Jun 2018 11:44:02a, new homeowner told us...

replying to Ook, new homeowner wrote:
Tagging on to this very old thread because I just can't seem to
find an answer to a related question: Assuming the concrete dries
out in between being hosed down, should one keep on watering it
for the full week or more? I started hosing it down the night it
was poured, and it of course gets dried to the touch in between.
The longest it goes without watering is overnight, and for the
past few days I have been hosing it down 10 or more times a day.
When it's pretty warm, though (sunny and 80), it looks like it
dries out within 20 minutes or so... and today, for example, it is
65 and overcast, but it seems to "dry" out within an hour or so.
So, if it appears totally dry during the morning/day, it is still
beneficial to keep on with the intermittant watering?
In particular, the day after it was poured, it was quite sunny
and hot, and
while I watered it at least a dozen times, it definitely LOOKED
bone dry in between....

Your advice and experience would be much appreciated! Thanks.

When we lived in NE Ohio we had a 6" thick triple width driveway
poured in early summer. The contractor recommended (and supplied) a
series of lawn misters that would cover the entire surface at once.
It was set on a timer for 10 minutes every half hour, 24/7. This ran
for a full week. We nver had a crack, and could easily handle the
weight of heavy trucks.

It's like watering when trying to establish new grass. Without an automatic
system, even small areas quickly become a pain in the ass to keep constantly
wet, hot weather just makes it much worse. That sounds like a smart
contractor you had. Lending the customer some sprinklers, hose and a timer
is an excellent idea. Good for the homeowner and contractor.