Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Drilling aluminium

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 20:40:07 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 04/06/2018 09:48, T i m wrote:

Far as I
know all the pro tools have plenty of torque, else they wouldn't sell.

Yeahbut that wasn't the question Bill. The question was have *you*
found that *your* battery drill has sufficient torque for everything
*you* have ever used it for?

Not possible to give a sensible answer because I choose the drill for
the job.

So the answer could be 'yes', assuming you might treat your cordless
as being equally capable as your corded for 'most stuff' (like I do)?
;-)

At the top end is a big ass mains drill and a genny.

That wouldn't come under the classification of a cordless drill then I
guess. ;-)

The first battery drill I had wouldn't drill a 1/4" hole in softwood!

I think mine was the DeWalt and that was pretty good (even then).

I still have and do use mains drills and will often use them as my
first choice for some tasks (like big SDS work) [1] or when going lots
of de-rusting where revs might be a good thing, along with duration.

For most general drilling though (inc percussion stuff) I'll pick up
the cordless.

However, they do need a bit of discipline in that you have to ensure
you put them away with all batteries fully charged (or at least one
given they charge pretty quickly) or it's no use when you want to use
it for something quickly (which seems to be the case with many of my
mates and their cr*p cordless drills). ;-(

Cheers, T i m

[1] I know they now do some very credible cordless SDS drills but I
don't have one (well I do, a mate gave me a Makita that needs a new
battery / charger).