Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Replacing Florescent Lights in Garage

I think it depends which colour temp lights you have, warm white, whit or
many many others in the past some looking almost pink or in some cases
cream.
I even saw one shop with at least 5 different shades when i could see. I
think one of the problems with leds is that you need to be able to spread
the light a lot and hence more leds.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Brian Reay wrote on 04/06/2018 :
The existing tubes are 58W which, seem to give 5500 or so lumens (based
on an internet search).

To get a comparable output in lumens, it looks like I need 60W leds
(going by a Screwfix ad).

Am I missing something? I was hoping for lower power.

(The lumen numbers for florescent tubes seem to vary, the 5500 number is
one I found.)

There is not a vaste saving to be had from switching from conventional
tubes to LED. Better than ballasts and starters will be electronic
ballasts, maybe with the 'soft start' option if they are switched often.
Not lasting long, suggests it is being switched often. I have 9x 3', 6x 5'
in my garage and workshop, they have never been replaced in around twenty
years. They are switched separately so that I can choose which area needs
light.