Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default New driveway - how long to keep concrete wet?

On 6/4/2018 2:44 PM, new homeowner wrote:
replying to Ook, new homeowner wrote:
Tagging on to this very old thread because I just can't seem to find an
answer
to a related question: Assuming the concrete dries out in between being
hosed
down, should one keep on watering it for the full week or more?Â* I started
hosing it down the night it was poured, and it of course gets dried to the
touch in between.Â* The longest it goes without watering is overnight,
and for
the past few days I have been hosing it down 10 or more times a day.Â* When
it's pretty warm, though (sunny and 80), it looks like it dries out
within 20
minutes or so... and today, for example, it is 65 and overcast, but it
seems
to "dry" out within an hour or so.

Concrete reaches 70% cure in a week. Curing also generates heat.
Thinking about a slice of bread, keeping it moist keeps it soft and
pliable. Concrete does not work that way but the water helps to cool it
so it cures slowly and evenly. There is no penetration.

I've seen concrete with burlap on it so the water stays longer,
especially in the sun. You may have already helped as much as you
could. BTW. it takes about 28 days for a full cure.