Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife Jimmy Wilkinson Knife is offline

Default How do flatbed microwave ovens work?

On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 10:46:09 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
On 03/06/2018 00:28, Rod Speed wrote:
"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 23:16:14 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Maybe. I've never had a good look at how the flatbed microwaves do it.

Most likely just put their dead ones in their wheely bin
and we don't allow people to put them on the footpath
for the council bulk collection in my council anymore, so
I have never had the chance to have a look at a dead one.

Makes you wonder why we pay council tax when they refuse to collect half
the stuff.

Ours doesn't refused to take it, you're free to take
it to the dump yourself, and pay $25 per tailer or
ute load, $10 per car or station wagon and they
have 2 or 3 free dump weekends a year as well.

But that doesn't work very well for those who only have
a car with the bigger stuff like mattresses, lounges, dead
fridges etc.

Our council is unusual in that regard tho, most councils here
do have a few days a year where they will show up with a
truck and pick up the big stuff that's left on the nature strip.

Mine refused to collect an old portable TV for recycling,

Our dump has a 40' container you put
that stuff in that is replaced when its full.

so I put it in the landfill bin and hid it under some normal waste.
Would have been funny if the tube blew when it was tipped into the
lorry.

Our trucks that show up every week compress the
rubbish and that would normally explode the tube.

In the UK there are large recycling centres (sometimes combined with a
landfill site) where you can take all kinds of stuff for free - but you
have to drive there in a car - not a van (or they charge you the
commercial rate) - and you can't walk in.

There are also a few "small electricals" bins around that take items up to
the size of a VCR.

Some councils will collect small electricals left out on the kerbside with
the domestic waste.

Otherwise you have to pay them to collect large items.

Most large supermarket car parks have bins for bottles, paper and card
&c., though usually this is also collected with the domestic waste in
separate bins/boxes.

Ours now have machines that pay you for bottles with barcodes on them.

Corse you pay more for the bottles with stuff in them when you buy them too.

They're thinking about doing that insanely stupid idea here. I already recycle my bottles in one of my wheelybins, why should I go to more trouble?

--
What has four legs, is big, green, fuzzy, and if it fell out of a tree would kill you?
A pool table.