Posted to alt.sci.physics,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife Jimmy Wilkinson Knife is offline

Default How do flatbed microwave ovens work?

On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 00:45:07 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 12:01:14 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 02:08:15 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news On 01/06/2018 18:13, Graham. wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 16:21:19 +0100, Graham.
wrote:

This is what I think of as a magnetron, as used in conventional
microwave ovens with a turntable:
http://www.hokuto.co.jp/eng/products...dex_img_01.gif
It's about the size of a fist. So how do they make them flat
under
the food cavity in flatbed ovens? Does the magnetron sit under
there
and is redesigned to be flat? Or is there some kind of fancy
rotating
waveguide, and the magnetron sits at the side as before?

Basically the later I should think.

The one I had in the 1980s had a large aperture covered with mica
on
the roof of the cooking cavity. The Magnetron was at the side of
the
cavity with a brass wave guide leading up to the top. A
squirrel-cage
fan blows air up the wave guide and not only cools the Magnetron,
but
also rotates a paddle-wheel at the top, a rotating antenna,
carrying
multiple reflectors thar distribute the radiation throughout the
cavity. I imagine modern bottom entry ones do a similar trick, but
have yet to work on one.

I didn't realise they were available in 1980. So why aren't they
all
like that? Does it add a lot to the price?

The one we had is in the last illustration on this page

https://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/P...iterature.html

I've still got the 170 page hard-back cookery book.

That looks quite a sophisticated one for the early 80s. We bought one
around 1981 and it had just a simple turn and 'run back' timer. It did
last about 17 years, with only a couple of O rings in the turn table
drive. We only disposed of it as it started to look tatty.

I'm still using the Sharp I bought in 73 almost every day.

It does have a proper electronic control and display.

Never had to do a thing to it.

Corse now it will curl up and die and it will be your fault.

Whatever happened to Sharp,

Nothing special here.

they still seem to be in business,

Yep.

but I haven't seen anything made by them for a decade or two.

They arent as cheap as the worst crap but still buyable here.
https://www.sharp.net.au/

Maybe here too, but I just haven't seen anyone with a Sharp device for 20
years. They used to be everywhere. AFAIK they were always midrange. Not
overpriced like Sony, but decent. Something like LG.

Just checked a retailer he
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/househ...-criteria.html
5 Sharp microwaves on offer, but 40 Russell Hobbs, 29 Bosch, 24 Swan, 15
Samsung, 25 Hotpoint. So not the most popular by far.

There's heaps here
https://www.sharp.net.au/home-products/microwaves

Yes, but how common are they compared to other makes?

--
If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kick boxing.