Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Drilling aluminium

On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 11:29:07 +0200, Thomas Prufer
wrote:

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 09:45:38 +0100, Bill wrote:

I'm suggesting pilot holes, then the step drill from each sides of the
tube.

Sounds good...

He is worried that this will make the job long and tedious
working, as he has to, alone.

Remedy his worries by "helping", i.e. drinking beer and watching, and possibly
by repeatedly telling him what he's doing wrong.

Hehe.

It's funny, many people (inc daughter and I and as you say) quite like
working with someone, sometimes for the company and sometimes just for
the extra pair of hands / Gopher.

OTOH, there are jobs that I can easily do single handed and where I
prefer to concentrate, like when measuring out smaller stuff (where
you don't need extra hands on the ends of a tape) or metal-turning
etc.

Yesterday I 'helped' my mate change all 4 brake cylinders and shoes on
the old Landrover he's going to sell and most of my help was just
keeping him supplied with the right tools at the right time and
protecting the tools that were out when he went to get others. I also
provided the odd tool and penetrating fluid to help make the job
easier and keep it going forward.

In return I was given lunch and plenty of hot / cold drinks ... had
some chat / laughs and hopefully got the job done quicker / better
('two heads' ... etc).

Some jobs really do need two pairs of hands, like when the Mrs and I
were bolting the body onto the kitcar chassis. It was raining ... so I
was inside dropping the bolts though the holes and she was outside /
underneath, putting the nuts and washers on and doing them up. ;-)

It's really nice when you are working with someone who can think ahead
.... or works out quickly there is 'a plan' or procedure that seems to
make to job quicker / easier and without you having to ask / prompt
all the time.

"Can you get me a 10mm open ender" is only any good if they know what
a '10mm open ender is' and where they are likely to find it (or can
work out where they are likely to be by themselves (out, in / on the
vehicle, under you / their foot or in the workshop)). By the time you
have explained either it's often quicker to get it yourself ... and if
you are working with the Mrs, risk a row ... (because it wasn't
'obvious' the 'red toolbox on the left' half open draw contained loads
of spanners). ;-)

Cheers, T i m