Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Weird Pipe Found Buried in Yard

On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 22:27:37 -0400, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 21:40:24 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 19:04:11 -0400, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 16:56:57 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

Clare--I want to make something clear. I am having a problem with the
fellow who is asserting that if you run a CAT6 cable to your garage
you end up with fire and brimstone coming down from the skies, rivers
and seas boiling, 40 years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanoes, the
dead rising from the grave, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living
together . . .

I have never known _you_ to give advice regarding network that was
other than sane and straightforward.

On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 02:48:26 -0400, J. Clarke
wrote:

SNIPP

If he only got 2 Mb/sec out of modern Ethernet he's got a computer in
the middle there purposely designed to be a throttle.

Gigabit is just not that fragile. It has been shown to run on barbed
wire.

8 strands of barbed wire I assume?????

Yep.

https://www.wband.com/2002/05/wideba...onal-magazine/

IIRC Broadcomm was demonstrating their interface chips--they did a
similar one with 100baseT a few years earlier.

That was specific to WideBand Corps implementation of 1000Bt
networking. Not everyone's implementation was as robust!!!

It will NOT downgrade it's speed as required to maintain connectivity.
Instead it will fail and retry, and fail again, untill it manages to
successfully pass the packet. This will NOT result in gagabit speeds -
likely even less than 10BT speeds.

I was having trouble with the computer I am using right now.

Periodically Internet access would slow to a crawl. Speed was all
over the map. The network connection would drop from gigabit to 100
mbit. Speedtest would show speeds as low as 5 Mb/sec but usually more
like 50 and sometimes back up to 300 (limit here is my ISP).

Finally tracked down the problem. There was a patch cable that had
gotten walked on, had furniture run over it, been gnawed by rodents,
and was in a few spots there was bare wire poking out,. Sometimes it
was _still_ carrying 300+ Mb/sec.

It's not as fragile as people think it is, at least not when it's
being run in a typical residential environment where runs are,
compared to what the spec allows, quite short. If you're working
right at the limit of what it can do, where signal attenuation is
piled on top of everything else it's another story, but that doesn't
typically happen in somebody's house.

You want to try in a 300 ft long building with various itterations of
cat5/cat5e cabling running both bundled and helter-skelter, some in
troughs, some not - running both over and beside flourescent lamp
troughs, down walls behind service panels, under floors, over
suspended ceilings, with "noisy" led lighting, you name it - with
servers and switches in 2 different areas of the building, with 2
separate networks interlinked (one data, one voip) and other
challenges.
The voip was POE 10/100 - the data mostly 1000BT.

There is a reason IT techs like myself keep our hair cut short!!!!

The thing is though, that's not the situation we're discussing, we're
discussing running a line from somebody's house to somebody's garage.
Unless it's the Gates Mansion or Mar A Lago or some such that
shouldn't be even coming close to the span limits.

Note, I work in such a building--I should send you a photo of the
tunnel sometime. But fortunately I don't have to maintain the
network--by some weird quirk of fate I am now a finance guy.

For the situation being discussed, an old 10B5 co-ax would likely do
the job - - - -
Regardless, for a cabled connection I WOULD bury it - but I'd be
pretty tempted to run a secured wifi if I was not doing anything
particularly sensitive (ie - no internet banking).

Early in my carreer I had a contract with a software developer locally
with 2 buildings connected by an IR link - back in the co-ax days.
What a total pain in the ass that link was!!!! Same place that had
such a slow network it was painfull. A whole bunch of engineers and
they couldn't figure out if you only needed a 10 ft co-ax drop, a 10
foot drop was infinitely better than a 50 foot coil of co-ax bundled
behind the desk..
I must have taken close to 1000 ft of cable out of that building - and
miraculously the network kicked into over-drive!!! Didn't help the
remote link though - went down every time it rained or snowed, and in
the fall when the leaves started to blow around - - - and it was only
less than 200 feet - - -