Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default rust deposit on dishes in new DW; cold tap runs warm; related?

On 6/3/2018 7:14 PM, Nelly W wrote:
2-3 month old d/w. Worked pretty good (absolutely fabulous by comparison
to what it replaced). One day noticed some of lower rack wasn't getting
clean. Even after all these weeks I still think it is rust since it's
still some on plates ...a 30-minute soaking in near-hot vinegar + salt
removed some, not all. Don't know how to test the spots for rust? Only
happened on lower rack, and then only on lower half of those plates.
Frigidaire sent someonw who replaced the computer gizmo (I think?) and
the lower sprayer arm last week. Seems ok enough so far.

Anyhow. Today I was running water when I noticed the water on the cold
side of kit faucet kept running warm (92°F to be exact). No matter how
long I ran it. Isn't even that warm in dead of summer here (SoFlo). It
finally straightened itself out; but I wonder if one could've had
something to do with the other.

Something is messed up. The DW is being damaged by the rust. Even the
cheapest DW will do an excellent job of leaving rust free, clean dishes.
The rust can be coming from city pipes, your pipes, or a deteriorating
water heater. The cold water is getting a mix of hot from something
too.It could be the cartridge in the faucet.

Sounds like you need a competent person to take a look. Do yu see any
rust in other sinks or toilets? Does the water run hot elsewhere?