Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Crack problem

On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 17:33:54 +0100, "Mark" wrote:

wrote in message
http://i64.tinypic.com/30k8yts.jpg
Normally I'd gently angle ground round a brick to remove it, how can I get
the job done in this case? The downpipe is cast iron and can't be left
disconected.

Subsidence
you are wasting your time unless that has been fixed

Or something like that (settlement, heave etc).

I have worse where the new extension (with a 1+m deep footing) joins
the 1890's cottage (with an 18" deep footing) and it opens and closes
with the tide. ;-)

Therefore, if I 'fixed' (filled?) it when it was closed it would just
open up again and if I fixed it when it was open it wouldn't close and
probably cause other issues elsewhere?

Or do I need to open it up along the whole crack when it's as closed
as it goes and fill it with a flexible sealant?

Cheers, T i m