Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Raised bed against a fence

On 03/06/2018 11:35, Bert Coules wrote:
I have a recently-erected six-foot high garden fence consisting of
plastic posts and panels, not dissimilar to this:

http://hantsanddorsetgardening.co.uk/plastic-fencing/

Alongside this fence I'd like to build a raised bed, some thirty inches
high. The front face could be attractive walling and the infill rubble
and stones topped with earth. I'm reluctant to use the fence itself as
a rear wall (and would it, in any case, resist the outward pressure of
the infill?)

Can't see a plastic fence taking that amount of side load.

but it seems somewhat over the top to build, say, a block
wall right up against it.

Dense concrete blocks are cheap and would do the job fairly quickly. As
others have said, gravel boards or sleepers would also do the job.

I've wondered about a rear wall of some
suitable coated or protected sheet material (OSB maybe?) braced to the
front wall, but I'd welcome any other suggestions.

Any sheet material (iven if it would last - which is doubtful) would
need lots of support from something else like posts etc.

--
Cheers,

John.