Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Raised bed against a fence

On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 12:07:38 +0100, Bert Coules wrote:

David, thanks for that. Concrete gravel posts are a neat idea (and
would look better than blocks too, as the visible upper part of the rear
wall) but how would you suggest I install them? Or would simply resting
them against the fence posts one above the other be enough, letting the
infill hold them in place? Then the question of the outward pressure
would arise, wouldn't it?

The posts are well sunk into the ground and concreted in place. I'm
confident that they would hold against the pressure from say, an
eighteen inch bed, but I'm not sure about twice that height. Or is the
bulk of the pressure downwards rather than sideways?

I hadn't thought of sleepers, so thanks for the idea.

I've known treated OSB have a decent life outdoors but admittedly I've
never used it in a situation where one side of it was effectively buried
in stone and soil. Perhaps if I covered it with roofing felt?

The gravel boards fit in place of the fence panels.

You know that when you fit a fence panel between concrete (or in your case
plastic) fence posts with slots?
The first thing you usually do is slide a gravel board down inside the
slots to keep the fence panel off the ground, and then slide the fence
panel down the slots to sit on top of the gravel boards.

What we did was slide down a gravel board between the slots. Then another
one. Then another one.

So it was gravel boards all the way down.

I will post a photo!

Cheers

Dave R

---