Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Raised bed against a fence

On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 11:35:34 +0100, Bert Coules wrote:

I have a recently-erected six-foot high garden fence consisting of
plastic posts and panels, not dissimilar to this:

http://hantsanddorsetgardening.co.uk/plastic-fencing/

Alongside this fence I'd like to build a raised bed, some thirty inches
high. The front face could be attractive walling and the infill rubble
and stones topped with earth. I'm reluctant to use the fence itself as
a rear wall (and would it, in any case, resist the outward pressure of
the infill?)
but it seems somewhat over the top to build, say, a block wall right up
against it. I've wondered about a rear wall of some suitable coated or
protected sheet material (OSB maybe?) braced to the front wall, but I'd
welcome any other suggestions.

Many thanks.

Not OSB for starters. It rots over time, as do most wood boards when
constantly wet/damp.

Just been out with a tape measure to check my visualisation and 30" is
pretty high - just over 3 standard blocks.

I would guess that in the long run a block wall would be sensible and
probably cheaper than using sleepers.

I read the plastic fencing site with interest and didn't see a direct
comparison with concrete posts. Therefore I cannot judge how robust the
plastic posts are. However we have concrete posts, concrete gravel boards
and wood panels.

For a couple of panels we have replaced the panels with concrete gravel
boards and these would certainly be strong enough to act as a rear wall
for a raised bed.

I can post a photo if this would help.

Cheers

Dave R