Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Getting rid of what appears to be some form of tyre slime

On Friday, 1 June 2018 14:27:14 UTC+1, wrote:
On Friday, 1 June 2018 11:32:16 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jun 2018 20:03:03 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

but did get a couple of tyres and rims from the wreckers

Dangerous and stupid thing to do.

Nope, just because the body of the car was
a write off says nothing useful about the tires

Exactly, it says *nothing* about the tyres.

and rims and its trivial to check that they are fine.

BS. There is *NO WAY* you could ever check the internal integrity of a
second hand tyre from an unknown (to you) vehicle.

What exactly is the issue with used tyres? Inspection shows up rubber faults, bulges on inflation show structural failures, and out-of-round I discovered by driving: drumming & very little road grip.

I had a vehicle years ago where buying scrapyard tyres was the only practical option, new ones were 20x the price, literally, and inadequate steering geometry control meant they didn't last well. Since I've heard warnings oft repeated about doing so, but no real explanation as to what the problem is.

NT

Damage to tyres can be easily detected,
The main problem is changing the tyre on to your rim.
You will need to take it to somewhere with a decant air flow to bed the tyre on to the rim.