Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Getting rid of what appears to be some form of tyre slime

"T i m" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Jun 2018 20:03:03 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

T i m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I've got this mess in the wheel well where the spare tyre goes.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bonxvh3b8o..._1736.JPG?dl=0

Presumably it came from a spare which had some form
of tyre slime in it which came off the rim or something.

Unlikely.

Have fun explaining where else it came from.

I don't need to.

Corse you do with your stupid claim that it didn't come from the tyre.

There is none of it on the cover that goes over the
wheel well so it must have come from the spare.

BS.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

I don't use any form of tyre slime myself,

Good for you.

but did get a couple of tyres and rims from the wreckers

Dangerous and stupid thing to do.

Nope, just because the body of the car was
a write off says nothing useful about the tires

Exactly, it says *nothing* about the tyres.

and rims and its trivial to check that they are fine.

BS. There is *NO WAY* you could ever check the internal integrity
of a second hand tyre from an unknown (to you) vehicle.

Corse you can, you take if off the rim and check it that way.

Even you should be able to manage that.

More stupid than you usually manage.

and it was presumably in one of those.

Stupid presumption.

Have fun explaining where else it came from.

See above.

Completely useless, as always with your ****.

The thinner stuff washed off with tap water quite
effectively, but the deeper pools had a skin on
them and washing didn't work very well with those.

Hot water, more soap, try harder?

The appropriate solvent makes more sense.

Quite ... but if water removed the thinner stuff ...

It didn't remove the thicker stuff.

Its not the green branded slime tho.

No, because it's not *any* form of 'slime'.

Have fun explaining where it came from and
didn't get on the cover of the wheel well.

It could however be the remains of a can of
get-you-home 'Repair in a can' (vinyl) that has
been punctured and empted into the wheel well.

Nope, because I have never ever had a can of that stuff.

Before I washed off the thin stuff, the deeper
pools weren't sticky on top, but they are now.

Probably removed the dust.

There was no dust.

So you vacuum the wheel well out regularly?

Don't need to. I don't get dust in the wheel well
because the cover stops it getting in there. There
isnt any dust on the top of the cover either.

There was a smooth skin that could be
pressed and deformed when pressed.

Irrelevant to the fact that it could have been coved in dust.

Even a terminal ****wit such as yourself could see
dust if it was there and that wouldn't have stopped
the water working on just those bits anyway.

The pools are still quite soft and it should be possible to gouge
it off with a flat screwdriver, but I am reluctant to do that

Don't then.

and gouge the paint.

Don't do that either.

Anyone know a good way of getting rid of the remaining pools ?

Why do you need to, it's a spare wheel well?

I don't need to but it would be better to get rid of it.

Not better for protecting the inside of the well against rust it
wouldn't.

There is no rust at all in the wheel well, it's a decent
modern Korean car with not a scrap of rust anywhere.

Even in the dent in the drivers door that has gone
right thru the outer paint which appears to have
been caused by some fool putting the corner of
a ute tray into my door in a car park. And that was
before the wettest winter we have ever had here.
https://www.tiptopequipment.com.au/m...arousel-04.jpg

Lay a sheet of polythene over it and put the wheel in.

Makes more sense to remove it if that's easy.

Another big 'IF' and I guess you wouldn't be asking here if it was.

Depends on what answers I get on what solvent will get it off.