Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Has anyone tried using EMT with pipe clamps?

Clare Snyder wrote in news:edt0hdl19fdiu4rioi9n8lha0qslbrdj7k@
4ax.com:

On Thu, 31 May 2018 14:05:29 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 4:32:43 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2018 13:23:47 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I doubt the gripping rings on the tail end of the pipe clamps will grip the EMT. The

gripping rings are chromed steel. The EMT is chromed or some kind of gray plating. Its
slick. I don't think the rings will grip the slick EMT pipe. So no clamping force. I don't think it
will grip enough to even dent the thinwall EMT. It'll just slip.
EMT is NOT chromed, it is electro-zinc plated.

OK. But my point is still valid. I don't think the grip rings will work on the electro zinc plated

coating. Too slippery.
They work fine on clamps that come with electrozinc plated "pipes"
from the factory.

Perhaps for some definitions of "just fine'. I haven't had good experiences using pipe
clamps with galvanized pipe.