Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oven with temperature readout

On 31/05/2018 22:07, Steve Walker wrote:
On 31/05/2018 11:05, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 30 May 2018 19:19:11 UTC+1, Steve WalkerÂ* wrote:
On 30/05/2018 09:24, newshound wrote:
On 30/05/2018 08:34, Bob Minchin wrote:
Pinnerite wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Â*Â*Â*Â* Pinnerite wrote:
I am trying to find a reasonably priced single oven with a digital
temerature readout. None of the sites I have visited boast of one.
Anybody any useful recent experience?

Do you mean one which reads the true temperature as measured by a
sensor,
rather than just a digital display of what it's meant to be?

Yes

I think any sensible manufacturer would not offer this as it would
clearly show the variations in temperature as the control system cut
in and out causing some customers to be dissatisfied and letters of
complaint.
I can't imagine other than a very high end oven employing a 3 term PID
controller when a gradual variation +/- a few degrees from a simple
bang bang controller would make no discernible difference in cooking
performance.

I've simply got a couple of "floating" thermocouples in my double oven
wired up to a standard display. It is interesting how rapidly the air
temperature drops when the door is opened, and how relatively slow
it is
to recover. I regularly use an IR thermometer to check the temperature
of the linings, and sometimes use a probe in the joint. Several decades
ago Cannon had an oven which came with a built-in probe and display.

Not a conventional oven, but many years ago my parents had a Sharp
microwave with a temperature probe. You could set a temperature and a
time and it would heat to that temperature and then hold that
temperature for the set time.

SteveW

I wonder how that worked or was it a gimmick that didn't work that well.
Small wires would vapourise in a microwave.

It was a fairly big (I think co-axial) cable with a pointed probe on one
end to stick into the food and a 6.5mm jack-plug on the other end, with
a socket in the top of the oven to allow the probe to rotate with the
food. As the cable braid is connected to the oven metalwork, it will act
as just another part of the oven - there is no unconnected metal with a
gap between it and the oven metalwork and so no spark-gap.

SteveW

Ah, not as thick a cable as the one I remember, but it was 20-odd years ago!

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDet...39WRE0/1914195

SteveW