Posted to alt.home.repair
83LowRider[_2_] 83LowRider[_2_] is offline

Default Honda Hydrostatic Drive vs Belt Drive: Advantages?

On 5/28/2018 11:22 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

My hydro experience is most current with snow blowers. There is still
a belt coupling the engine to the hydro - but instead of a friction
disk type variable speed drive you have the Hydro. The frictiondisk
slips when it gets wet, the rubber hardens making it slip - if it gets
oily it slips - nothing but a total pain in the keester.

Slippage is a critical factor with my mowers. These steep hills
of East TN can be very scary and dangerous. Belt mowers tend to
slip, just as you described.

I'd never go back to a friction drive. Fully variable speed, on the
go, forward and reverse with no slippage on track drive is all I could
ask for.

All true, and no brakes to worry over too!