Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Has anyone tried using EMT with pipe clamps?

On Tue, 29 May 2018 21:41:38 -0700, OFWW
wrote:

On Tue, 29 May 2018 22:29:25 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 5/29/18 10:23 PM, OFWW wrote:
Was just thinking, EMT is so much lighter, so why nor use Pipe to EMT
adapters and go for it?

Has anyone tried it?

My guess is it would be too flexible because it's so thin.
It seems to be getting thinner and thinner, too.
Anyone see how thin copper pipe is these days?
You can practically put your fingernail through it.

Yeah, the so-called water grade is pure crap. Even looking at a roll
of it will cause dents and the tubing to get out of round. Shudder my
first memories of picking some up at the local box store instead of my
normal supply house and getting that by mistake.

Roll copper has ALWAYS been soft because it is annealed copper.
Hard straight copper is what is "generally" used for water plumbing -
M has always been thin. M is now stocked as "standard" at the Borg and
other big box centers, L is still available and is "standard" at a
good plumbing supply - where the cheaper lighter M is also available.

EMT seems about the same, I suppose because steel is a lot less
expensive. I think I'll try a short piece first because of the sliding
locking clamp and see what happens when it grips the EMT and if it
will cave it in or dent it.

There are standards - which have not changed.