AJScott

Default Alternatives to UGLY vinyl siding

In article
.rogers.com,
"Michael Daly" wrote:

On 27-Dec-2003, AJScott wrote:

1. Maybe you're more avant-garde than our forefathers were, but I've
seen a ton of actual rural wood farmhouses between Chicago and northwest
Florida in the past 40+ years (and a few Sears catalog-type frame homes
dating back to the early 1940s with the original wood clapboard in my
current neighborhood), and I don't recall a single one having each
course, or row, of clapboards almost a foot high, as you seem to be
looking for. They're something like 4-6" high and really pretty much in
line with the size of the vinyl getting slapped on today's new
subdivision homes and condos. In fact, those individual early-1900s
clapboards aren;t even anywhere near as high as a single course of the
1970s aluminum siding that's still on my parents' house.

In fact, the narrow stuff is called "colonial". That certainly predates
1900.

Mike

Those silly colonial folk. Maybe that's why they didn't use concrete
block much: Not narrow enough.

AJS