George E. Cawthon

Default ****ed off at th thermostat

Rich Greenberg wrote:

In article pfoHb.217354$_M.954070@attbi_s54,
David Babcock wrote:

Two things I do as I turn my clocks ahead and back, change the batteries in
my smoke detector, and in my Thermostat. The cost is minimal, the safety
factor isn't.

Twice a year seems like overkill. I change all the smoke detector and
clock backup batteries between xmas & new years. Just yesterday to be
exact. My thermostat doesn't have a battery.
12 9v block batteries. 2 six packs from Sams.

--
Rich Greenberg Work: Rich.Greenberg atsign worldspan.com + 1 770 563 6656
N6LRT Marietta, GA, USA Play: richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770 321 6507

Manufactures usually start off with a recommendation to
freguently test critical battery operated devices and to
change batteries in other equipment when it starts to
operate poorly (duh). Then they jackup the recommendation
to include more frequent testing or to changing the
batteries at some arbitrary fixed interval. That usually
progresses to a recommendation to change batteries at an
even more frequent level to help sales and avoid any chance
of customer problems.

Your change frequency depends on the type batteries you
use. Regular, heavy duty, or the energizer type. Appliance
manufactures have to assume the lowest common denominator,
which is the regular battery, to avoid customer complaint
and law suits. For critical use, I think you should use
only the energizer type batteries, and you waste resources
if you change them as if they were regular batteries. The
logical thing to do is test how long the batteries will last
in that appliance by marking the date and then seeing when
they fail, because appliances vary in their power
requirements. After that, change them in response to your
tests.

How often do you change your razor blade, windshield wipers,
headlights, brake linings, water heater, electric stove
elements, or whatever? Would you recommend that people
change them on a specific time interval or when they wear to
an unacceptable performance? Oh, I didn't include tires
because manufactures are not suggesting that you change
tires on the basis of length not on the basis of use. Yep,
I expect my tires that are mostly in a garage run at less
than 70 percent of speed rating at temperatures that are
fairly low will deteriorate just a fast as tires left in the
sun subject to high humidity and high temperatures, and
often run near maximum speed ratings. Give me a break!