Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Generator wiring question

On Wed, 30 May 2018 09:58:38 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 5/25/2018 8:40 AM, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
Hi,

I have a 1-1/2HP, 220v motor running from the dryer socket, all good.

I was thinking of putting in a change over switch to run the motor from the generator when the power goes out as it does regularly out here.

https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-Unive.../dp/B01IZ5ZFYC

To save me dragging the gen-set out and starting it to find out what is coming out of the 240-socket, thought I'd ask here.

The house wiring uses the 3-wire 110-0-110 for the 220/240 but the gen has three pins for the 240-out. I am guessing one is Ground and the others are Neutral and 240v.

How do I go about wiring that to run the motor? An ASCII diagram would be good.

Thanks

Break out your meter and find out. There are 3 pin twist lock 110V
plugs. I have a few.

Virtually ALL gensets that use a 3 wire twist lock and claim to put
out 240 volts...will have 240 across (2) of the connector pins and a
ground. The odd shaped pin will be the ground. Least..its supposed to
be.

Period.
Full stop
End Program.

Measure from 240 pin to ground. You may..may get 120 volts if the
genset is worth a ****.

I have several gensets..and they include a genset that claims to be
240..but isnt.

Gunner

---