Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gareth[_3_] Gareth[_3_] is offline

Default Scanning newsprint - tips?

On 30/05/2018 09:20, Another John wrote:
Trivial question really, but this group is the fount of all knowledge ...

I do a quiz for the pub, every few weeks. I do a picture round, by
cutting out photos from newspapers/mags, and sticking them on one sheet;
then I scan it, then I print off the required number of copies (in black
and white, to save costs).

My scanner is a Canon MP270 inkjet printer/scanner (i.e. cheap end); my
B/W printer is a Samsung ML2010 laser (i.e. *cheap* end).

Is there any way I can avoid the "dotty" effects of newsprint scans? I
scan at 600 dpi in the hope that this will give better quality .. but
I'm beginning to think that I should scan as low as possible?

(Yes yes -- I know I can try it, and will, but I'm wondering if there is
common knowledge that hasn't spread my way yet...)

Cheers
John

I suggest you avoid scanning all together.

Copy the pictures from the web and paste them into an electronic
document then print that. Not only does this avoid scanning but you
will also be able to resize the images.

If you don't have any suitable software there are many free tools
available. A couple of suggestions below:

- Google Slides: a free online tool, see:
https://www.google.co.uk/slides/about/

- Libre office impress: (Libre Office is an open source product similar
to Microsoft Office. Impress is their version of Power Point. It is
quite a large download though, see:

https://www.libreoffice.org/