Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Scanning newsprint - tips?

"Another John" wrote in message
Trivial question really, but this group is the fount of all knowledge ...

I do a quiz for the pub, every few weeks. I do a picture round, by
cutting out photos from newspapers/mags, and sticking them on one sheet;
then I scan it, then I print off the required number of copies (in black
and white, to save costs).

My scanner is a Canon MP270 inkjet printer/scanner (i.e. cheap end); my
B/W printer is a Samsung ML2010 laser (i.e. *cheap* end).

Is there any way I can avoid the "dotty" effects of newsprint scans? I
scan at 600 dpi in the hope that this will give better quality .. but
I'm beginning to think that I should scan as low as possible?

(Yes yes -- I know I can try it, and will, but I'm wondering if there is
common knowledge that hasn't spread my way yet...)

Cheers
John

When scanning newsprint, or any thin double-sided medium, when laying
it on the bed, place a sheet of dark paper on top of it before closing
the lid. This will help prevent matter on the other side of the original
from showing through in the scans, having been reflected by the white
underside of the lid.

michael adams