Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_5_] OFWW[_5_] is offline

Default New Rough Cut show

On Mon, 28 May 2018 18:48:11 -0400, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Mon, 28 May 2018 15:33:25 -0700, OFWW
wrote:

On Mon, 28 May 2018 13:58:54 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 4:06:47 PM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:
On Sun, 27 May 2018 13:27:01 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 4:50:03 AM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:
Apparently Festool took Gass on as part of the package--they say that
the management team remains in force. I think it was a bad choice on
Festool's part. The patents expire in 3 years and I suspect that the
market will be flooded with clones shortly after.

3 years is pretty quick. Hope that's all it takes to get more finger saving saws on the market. I personally think its a great technology. But I also think its far far far better to have a sliding table on a saw than this finger technology. Much safer that way. AND far more productive. Can't wait until Felder and Hammer and MiniMax and Martin and Altendorf and SCMI put the finger technology on their sliding table saws. Make these stupid 1800s American cabinet saws extinct.

I took a look at Felder.

5300 bucks for a saw that can't break down a sheet of plywood? I'm
afraid that they need to learn a bit about the American market before
they try to sell those things here.

https://www.felder-group.com/us-us/p...able-saws.html

This is a link to what Felder sliding table saws look like. And you say they can't break down a sheet of plywood? The small sliders would have a hard time dealing with a 4x8' sheet of plywood. But all the big sliders would gobble it up with ease.

Might be nice if one is into metric systems. I don't have the time to
convert everything to see the spec's. Plus you cannot even get the
list price without signing up.

As to the argument regarding cutting up 4x8 sheets, you still have to
deal with the same unwieldiness that you do with an American Table
Saw.

As to safety, and costs, I preferred the other brand that was banned
from the USA, a whole lot less expensive and replacement parts would
have been available everywhere had they'd been able to continue
selling here.

The only one in that line though was a small jobsite saw.

I forgot about that.