Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Hot electrical wires

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 8:34:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 28 May 2018 12:14:27 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 1:12:40 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 9:20:46 AM UTC-5, condo owner wrote:
I turned off ALL circuit breakers in the panel.

I then pulled out the duplex receptacle from the electrical box in my garage and removed the wires.

I then attached the black, white and ground wires to a new duplex receptacle with two USB ports.

I was shocked by another white electrical wire in the box. Why wasn't that circuit controlled by a circuit breaker in the panel? Should the white wire have power?

Sometimes two different energized circuits wind up sharing a neutral and that could be the reason you got a shock off the white neutral wire. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Zapped Monster

Again, one more time, he said he has all the breakers in the panel off.
Are you like Trump, alternate facts?

And the only way there can be a code compliant shared neutral is with an
Edison circuit.

If this is not actually inside his unit, it is probably not on his
panel. The garage in a condo is typically on the "house" panel with
the common area lighting. He is lucky he did not light himself up. He
is also screwing with common area infrastructure. This is the kind of
thing "condo commanders" raise hell about.

I agree, it's getting a little weirder. I thought that too, if it's a
common garage that's shared, seems unusual that the panel with the
breakers for it would be in his unit. I guess what you're suggesting is
that maybe he turned off all "his" breakers, but not the one controlling
the receptacle in the garage that he's working on.