Posted to alt.home.repair
Wade Garrett Wade Garrett is offline

Default Hot electrical wires

On 5/28/18 7:11 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 5:44:44 PM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 5/28/18 1:12 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 9:20:46 AM UTC-5, condo owner wrote:
I turned off ALL circuit breakers in the panel.

I then pulled out the duplex receptacle from the electrical box in my garage and removed the wires.

I then attached the black, white and ground wires to a new duplex receptacle with two USB ports.

I was shocked by another white electrical wire in the box. Why wasn't that circuit controlled by a circuit breaker in the panel? Should the white wire have power?

Sometimes two different energized circuits wind up sharing a neutral and that could be the reason you got a shock off the white neutral wire. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Zapped Monster

Always wondered- what exactly is a "neutral" wire in an AC circuit?
--

There is a lot of material about the subject on the Internet. Think of it as the return to the generator completing the circuit. The ground is attached to a ground rod which is in the ground, not the same thing. ^_^

http://qa.answers.com/Q/What_does_th...ical_cir cuit

https://www.enotes.com/homework-help...circuit-194475

https://community.smartthings.com/t/...angeable/27849

[8~{} Uncle Electrical Monster

Interesting, those are good explanations. Thanks.

But I understood that in AC, the current reverses back and forth through
the circuit 50-60 cycles per second.

If the neutral is a "return" wire, how does the "alternating" part fit in?

--
Nigerian authorities found a man dead in his apartment along with 16
billion dollars stored there. Apparently he had been trying to give it