Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl drill/chisel/scissor sharpener

On Monday, 28 May 2018 16:27:56 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) formulated on Monday :
A drill sharpener that worked well for idiots would be one of my first
purchases. ;-)

It seems to be almost idiot proof, apart from the setting up in the
clamp/ holder. It gets the basic angle about right, except sometimes it
seems to not get the angle right for the none cutting edge/ the
clearance angle.

That sort of describes all of mine. ;-)

I used to be able to make a pretty good job of grinding them by eye.

Respect. Never been able to do small ones. I know they are cheap - but no
help when you've run out of sharp ones.

I don't see much point in those machines. They seem to be for people that have never taken 10 minutes to sit & stare intently at a drill bit & thereby understand how it's ground & why.

For bits you don't plan to use on steel, regrinding with different geometry gives way better performance. Your machine can't do that.

For very small bits that are too fiddly to grind right, the quick easy way is to put a spear point on them. In all but steel that works great in small sizes & is dead easy to do.

NT