Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Homebase

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
alan_m wrote

B&Q closed a number of local branches over the years. Homebase didn't -
but also seemed to have less customers. The two ain't compatible.

Homebase appealed to those who wanted over-priced fluffy cushions
or fitted kitchens but didn't sell anything at a sensible price for
anyone
doing some serious DIY, hence falling trade. I don't think the new
owners were aware of how the general public perceived this retail outlet
and did absolutely nothing to inform the UK population that the
ownership had changed and the stores may be different. It's all good if
you take over a ongoing successful business but with a failing business
you have re-attract the people who have previously visited the old
stores and have decided that they are not worth a return visit. This did
not happen, at least not in my area of the country where Homebase wasn't
re-branded. I only went to Homebase many months after reading on here
that the store had changed hands and I got the impression that the staff
out-numbered customers by 3:1.

After the takeover I looked to see what had changed. If it had, not
obvious. And to turn round a store which hasn't been doing well
needs massive changes. They either need to offer things you can't
get elsewhere or at as good or better prices.

And that isnt going to be possible when you have much
higher costs due to the revamp than your competitors.

The reality is that there are too many physical stores for
the amount of DIY work being done when the buyer
can't wait for the cheaper stuff to be delivered from an
online operation, particularly now that the likes of amazon
are able to deliver so quickly. Yes, there will always be
some stuff that its quicker to get by going to a local
physical store, but not enough to sustain all those
current physical stores to be profitable.