Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Rockler 4-Way Panel Clamps 54% Off

On 5/28/18 7:01 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 12:56:30 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
"-MIKE-"Â* wrote in message news
http://www.rockler.com/4-way-equal-pressure-clamp

However I'm fairly certain, they didn't invent, nor manufacturer these.
We'll see how it goes.

Anyone have these, already?

I had 8 sets of clamps like those when I started getting serious about
woodworking... I made the cauls with camber so that the pressure in the
middle was maintained as they were tightened. Ultimately I got a bunch
of Bessy clamps and got rid of the 4 way clamps. When I need really long
clamps I've got pipe clamps with couplers that give me all the length
I'd ever need...Â* As I recall I had them about 12'-14' long one time to
help with straightening out framing during a house renovation.

The 4-way clamps were a crutch when I started as they let me glue up
panels with cupped boards where the edges did not butt up square without
them. With good board prep the need for them disappeared... About the
only time I need cauls now is when I'm gluing up things like cutting
boards that have a lot of slippery glue joints. I haven't missed the
4-way clamps at all.

So, you've used all three types and still prefer the Bessy.

If I had a bunch of pipe clamps, I suspect I wouldn't be getting these
4-ways.
The price is so low on these, I had to bite. The cauls being integrated
in them isn't the feature that makes me want them. To me it's the
customization of length-- similar to pipe clamps. But, the fact that
they use cauls for that purpose is definitely a bonus.

I assume you read the reviews. One common complaint is that the depth for the notches given
in the instructions is too shallow to hold under pressure. I think that was mentioned in both the
Amazon reviews and the Rockler reviews. That could be a user/usage issue, but the complaint
is pretty common.

I wonder if cutting flat notches with a dado blade or a router might be better than the curved
bottom notches that you get by drilling holes and then cutting the cauls in half per the
instructions.

I think it will be simple enough to drill separate holes for each one
and not cut through the dead center of the holes. I'll start there and
see how it works.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)