Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Hot electrical wires

On Monday, May 28, 2018 at 10:20:46 AM UTC-4, condo owner wrote:
I turned off ALL circuit breakers in the panel.

I then pulled out the duplex receptacle from the electrical box in my garage and removed the wires.

I then attached the black, white and ground wires to a new duplex receptacle with two USB ports.

I was shocked by another white electrical wire in the box. Why wasn't that circuit controlled by a circuit breaker in the panel? Should the white wire have power?

Sounds like a problem with the neutral not being properly grounded and
possibly a neutral that has a bad connection too. Even with the breakers
open, your neutral is still connected to the service neutral and hence
tied into the system that includes your neighbors, etc. Suggest you call
an electrician. What kind of shock was it? The just noticeable little
tingle kind or something more?