Posted to alt.home.repair
83LowRider[_2_] 83LowRider[_2_] is offline

Default Honda Hydrostatic Drive vs Belt Drive: Advantages?

On 5/24/2018 3:17 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Snowblowers.

Hydrostatic *sounds* sexy - but so did gear drive on my BCS & implements, but
it sucks pretty bad in practice: expensive, noisy, heavy...

So what about hydrostatic vs belt drive?

Snowblowers?
I know nothing.

Hydro vs belt drive?
35 years of mowing for a living.
I believe my first hydro also a commercial mower was
a Scag. I've never had one fail, and never even
considered buying a belt drive since. In the mowing
world there is no comparison.

That first Scag, bought about 20 years ago...
I bought it slightly used, mowed with it about 10 years.
It was sold to my good friend and next door neighbor
to mow his 2+ acres. It's still going strong, and
seeing it almost daily, I know very well, he too has
never had an issue at all with the hydraulics.

my dos pennies...