Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Rockler 4-Way Panel Clamps 54% Off

"-MIKE-"Â* wrote in message news
"-MIKE-"Â* wrote in message news

So, you've used all three types and still prefer the Bessy.

If I had a bunch of pipe clamps, I suspect I wouldn't be getting these
4-ways.
The price is so low on these, I had to bite.Â* The cauls being
integrated in them isn't the feature that makes me want them.Â* To me
it's the customization of length-- similar to pipe clamps.Â* But, the
fact that they use cauls for that purpose is definitely a bonus.

We'll see what happens next time I have a panel glue-up.
Who knows, maybe I'll be buying a bunch of Bessys.Â*Â* :-)

We all work a bit differently so they may be just the ticket for you...
or maybe not. After some experience with them you'll know if they work
for YOU. Having the Bessy clamps, a bunch of handscrews, a bunch of
C-clamps, a bunch of spring clamps, packing tape, rubber bands, and 4
pipe clamps that I can adjust for length is meeting my needs. I've been
known to use a vacuum bag food sealer for things too. ;~)

I wish I would've taken pictures or recorded a video, but I came up with
a pretty ingenious solution to challenging veneer gluing job I had,
several years back.

I was asked to put Bubinga veneer on some 22" maple bass drum hoops.
Bass drum hoops are what hold the head on the drum and are a bit larger
than the drum shell. They are about 1-3/4" wide, 1/4-3/8" thick, and
usually around 18-24" in diameter.

The outside was easy to clamp using a simple band clamp. Piece of cake.
But how do you clamp the inside of a cylinder, and one that big? I
though about using a couple dozen spring clamps. But I came up with a
great idea that came from this contraption I made...

https://youtu.be/9K_2iQJfYAc

In the video you can see how I used a pneumatic tire to hold the drum
shell while the base spins. That gave me the idea to try a bicycle
inner-tube as an air bladder clamp for the inside surface of the bass
drum hoop. It worked absolutely perfectly and even bent the veneer
around the curved edge on one side of the hoops.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--