Steven Johnson

Default Alternatives to UGLY vinyl siding

Amen to everything said by Joseph. I will add that woodpeckers attack cedar
but leave vinyl alone. Since you said cedar is way too expensive, and you
don't like T1-11 (grooved plywood), and brick is way too expensive, and
aluminum is not all that available anymore, you don't have a lot of options
left.

I think you will find the log siding look to run towards cedar in terms of
cost, but you should look into that if it is attractive to you.

There are a couple other kinds of siding I can think of. Hardboard
(blechhh), and there is also a fiber-cement siding that looks sort of like
painted cedar siding, and stands up to weather better than hardboard.

So, you should check into fiber-cement in terms of cost, appearance and
performance. It's not for everyone, but you might like it.

Steve Johnson

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
While you may find some alternatives; keep in mind the reason vinyl is
popular is it is very practical. It is inexpensive and without many of

the
problems of many other sidings. If there was another cheap better siding,
you would see a lot of it.

For example Aluminum is going out due to fading and denting problems.

Another thing to keep in mind. If you are having a hard time finding

siding in your area, it is likely because it does not work well there. It
also will mean you are not going to find a crew that knows how to handle

it,
so the application is more likely to have problems.

I notice you did not note stucco.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

wrote in message
I am looking for alternatives to UGLY vinyl siding. I can not stand
the look of vinyl siding, and will not live in a house covered with
this garbage. I considered brick, but its too costly. I would not
mind aluminum siding, but it seems that few people use it anymore, and
it's hard to find. Redwood or Cedar boards are far too costly these
days, even though they used to be the most common siding. I dont want
the sheet plywood with grooves because it tends to delaminate in a few
years, even though I do like the look of that stuff. More so, I like
the look of individual pieces. The old asbestos siding (in short
strips) had an appealing appearance, as did cedar shingles. But
asbestos is banned and cedar is (again) too costly.
I am currently checking into these boards that look like logs, and
really like their appearance. However, I am looking for other
alternatives and suggestions, and must keep the cost down.

The house is a standard stud frame covered with plywood. and house
wrap.

Thanks

George