Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rifled barrel

On 5/26/2018 2:12 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/26/2018 3:48 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
news
A question - I have a rifled barrel blank in .22 caliber , it
measures .875 at the receiver end . I'd like to build a bolt action
handgun chambered ib .222 Rem , which has a cartridge base diameter
of .378 , leaving just a bit over .250 wall thickness in the chamber
area . The receiver will surround part of the chamber area , but not
all . I'm thinking this is a bit thin for the pressures involved ...
Is it ? If so , can I press fit a sleeve over the portion of the
barrel that needs more strength ? Or should I be looking at
something smaller , maybe .22 mag or something ? I've wanted a
center fire bolt handgun since the first time I saw a Remington
XP100 ... and the barrel was free .

--
Â* Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

You could mike a Contender barrel at a gun store.

Hadn't thought of that - maybe I can find the dimensions online , the
chances of a gun store here having one in stock is pretty slim . Oh wait
, there isn't a gun store here , but I think my friend Bill the
Machinist has a Contender barrel in .222 . Thanks Jim !

Also keep a look on Ebay for a better suited barrel. Last time I looked
they had eased their totalitarian restrictions and you could buy just
about all legal non serial numbered parts except 80% receivers. Picked
up a few barrels myself for future projects... like jack handles and
plow shares.

Numreich is another ok place to look for surplus barrels.