Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Are Jacks Worth It?

On Sat, 26 May 2018 08:26:31 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I often find myself cutting aluminum flat bar that extends beyond the jaws
of the vise. When that happens it can result in chatter or harmonics that
affect surface finish. Particularly in the actual first surfacing pass. I
can go with a really small WOC, but then the surfacing of the bar starts to
take up a significant amount of time.

Do you think jacks under the part are enough to reduce that or should I just
start working on setting up a second vise aligned with the first on those
machines?

Add mass/restrict chatter. If not a vise, how about a 3rd hand? (No,
not the type used for soldering, but larger)

A pair of vise grips on a stick might be the ticket for you. I saw one
years ago but didn't save the URL. This is similar:
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...rticulated-jig

Maybe easier yet would be to weld up a piece of bar in a U shape with
a vise grip on one end. Chuck it in the vise along with the bar to be
cut while the vise grip holds the floppy end. I think I'll do this
with one of the cheaparse Chiwanese vise grips I have which aren't
good for anything else. I have that problem all the time and, like
you, have never spent the time to solve it ahead of time.

--
If we can ever make red tape nutritional, we can feed the world.
--Robert Schaeberle