Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Workshop dust extraction (again)

I have many qualms about sawdust. I once visited the aftermath of a sawdust
fire caused by a faulty vacuum device. Not pretty at all, in fact highly
dangerous.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
I still haven't found the right round tuit to get the extraction system
sorted, but it's getting closer. I recently bought a "Dust Commander"
cyclone and (very much to my surprise) it's a brilliant gizzmo, so that's
motivated me to sort out a proper system.
I have a standard high_volume_low_pressure (HVLP) chip collector for the
planer, thicknesser and spindle and will be using the cyclone+dyson for
things like table saw, router, bandsaw and sander. I plan to put both
vacuum systems in a closed cubicle, exhausting to the outside world, and
to run smooth pipework across the ceiling (with a static wire!) to several
drops, with appropriate reducers, bungs and/or blast gates.
I can't decide whether I need to run separate 100mm and 50mm pipes, or
whether I can have one 100mm "distribution" pipe and connect either the
cyclone+dyson (via 50mm) or the chip collector (via 100mm), depending on
the tool that's connected. What does the team think?
I can't think of a better way to phrase it - I hope it makes sense.