Posted to rec.woodworking
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Tommy Mac suing WGBH-TV

On 5/25/2018 10:47 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/24/2018 6:09 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

After not renewing his contract, WGBH partnered with Fine Woodworking
magazine and changed the name of the show to "Rough Cut with Fine
Woodworking." In a lawsuit filed last week in federal court in
Boston, MacDonald alleges that WGBH pirated his name and image "to
produce a counterfeit show."

WGBH disagrees and says it owns all the trademarks related to the
series.

"The claims in this case have no basis in fact," WGBH said in an
e-mailed statement. "Our agreement with Mr. MacDonald makes clear
that WGBH owns the series title and all other trademarks relating to
the series. WGBH has in no way suggested that Mr. MacDonald is
involved with our new production. We hope to be able to resolve this
issue."

Markham said MacDonald is "very saddened" at the situation.

"Tommy MacDonald put his heart and soul into that show for seven
years," Markham said in a telephone interview. "He is very saddened
at what theyre doing, and he looks forward to having a quick court
resolution."

Sounds like Tommy should have had a sharper lawyer up front and did some
trademark filings.

Cohen was busy with other things at the time and didn't return his calls...