Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Honda Hydrostatic Drive vs Belt Drive: Advantages?

On Thu, 24 May 2018 15:17:01 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Snowblowers.
Hydrostatic *sounds* sexy - but so did gear drive on my BCS & implements, but
it sucks pretty bad in practice: expensive, noisy, heavy...
So what about hydrostatic vs belt drive?
Belts, I can replace... but hydrostatic sounds way beyond my pay grade.
What does hydrostatic provide to earn it's $1000+ premium?
Honda's 28" (http://tinyurl.com/y7kxxm8a) claims a few more inches depth
capacity over the Ariens analog (http://tinyurl.com/y77ls44s), but $1,400?
Anybody own either one?
One Deal Breaker feature for me is handlebar height: 38" minimum, 40"
preferred... and Honda seems to offer that... not sure about other brands.
An important capability noted by many reviews is the ability to bust through
that 2-3 feet of ice/frozen slush/snow that the city plow leaves at the end
of one's driveway.
Three-stage blowers were sounding attractive until somebody opined that 3
stages was mainly a way to get the same performance from a smaller engine.

Quit messing around ... it's only money.

https://powerequipment.honda.ca/snow...d-i-control-es

ps: I didn't even know there was a hydro-drive snowblower ..

John T.