Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default VM Tivo 6 box to older TV

On 24/05/2018 17:14, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 24 May 2018 15:40:21 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

John Rumm wrote:
On 24/05/2018 16:17, Tim+ wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 24/05/2018 14:53, Oliver wrote:
Virgin Media support is driving me crazy. I want to connect their
new Tivo 6 box to an older tv (Sony KE-P37XSI) which does not have
an HDMI connector. Any good suggestions?

A HDMI to component video conversion box would probably be your only
option... Worth a tenner from ebay etc to give it a try and find out?

Presumably youd lose the HD aspect of the signal though? Personally
Id get with the times and invest in a new TV. ;-)

Component[1] inputs will often support progressive scan and higher
resolutions, so you might be ok. The TV itself can do 1080i I belive
from looking at the spec briefly.

But I thought that the whole point of HDMI was end to end encryption of
the HD signal (to stop piracy). Any signal that can be extracted is
going to be non-HD.

I thought that never got implemented ? Like the clipper chip ?

Of course technology moves on and maybe there are devices that can get
around this.

If it had been implemented, of course. IIRC one of the reasons of non-
implementation of the clipper chip (apart from the stupidity of the idea)
was that workarounds were available before the chip was.

Generally the signal remains encrypted end to end or only a degraded
version is available. However, I am pretty sure that there are some
devices available that remove the encryption without degrading the
quality - intended to allow gamers to record HD gameplay.

SteveW