Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Door hinge positioning

Charles F wrote:

On almost all doors the top hinge is
traditionally placed 6-8 inches from the top of the door, and the lower
10-12 inches up from the base. On this door I intend using a third hinge,
and the position of this is my query. On many doors a third hinge is placed
approximately centrally, but I've noticed that more recently the third hinge
has on some doors moved up to 12 inches or so below the top hinge.

Two hinges nearish the top seems to be the continental way, central
seems to be the more traditional UK way, visually I prefer the central
hinge, not sure the advantages of the two at the top method.