Dan O.

Default Hotpoint Fridge 1998 Stops Periodically with Period in Months.

Shilpa Singh wrote

We have Hotpoint Fridge 1998 and it stops after
a month or two months or more or less and then
stays like that for a day or two or more and
then starts off on its own.

I have opened the Freezer panel on the evaporator
coil and have found that I can reduce the time it
is off by using hair dries to remove ice from
the evaporator coil.

Other than that there is no difference in working
of this fridge. I have read about defrost timers
etc but nothing correlates to this behavior.

Any suggestion.

The compressor could be overheating and cutting out on its overload
protector until it's had a chance to cool but I think a more likely
cause is that the defrost timer (if used on whichever model you have),
is periodically 'sticking' during the defrost cycle. You can read
about how a frost free refrigerator's defrost system is suppose to
work at the following link:

How does a frost free refrigerator's defrost system work?
http://ng.appliance411.com/links/jump.cgi?ID=658

Another possibility is that the 'cold control' (aka thermostat) is
periodically sticking in the OFF position. That can sometimes be
determined by *gently* tapping the control knob with a finger when it
should be running. If it starts right up after that, the control may
be the cause.

You can read about what information is needed to get replacement parts
for your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked
below.

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com