Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Fitting freesat dishes, etc

On 23/05/2018 10:09, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher brought next idea :
Good plan.
TBH when I inherited a dish I thought it must be all very complex, but
provided its pointing in the right direction and you have decent LNBs,
its actually a piece of ****, as may be seen by the calibre of people
who install them.

I am sure there are gadgets out there the enable you to set the
direction and azimuth rather better than trial and error.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/slx-satel...er-meter/27154

looks one way to go.

Using an inline signal strength meter is the final step, the first step
is to get it pointing roughly at the sat, which is where so many struggle.

I am surprised no company seems to have made a simple universal gadget,
which combines a compass, dial in heading calculator and azimuth
indicator, apart from the gadget which is only designed to fit and work
with my own portable dish.

The dishes I have fitted had scales pressed into the metal to set most
of it and only the azimuth was needed for initial alignment.

Azimuth is easy these days you just plot it on google and point it where
the line points. You don't need a compass any more.

The last one I did I used a TV and watched the signal strength while it
was on the lawn, many years ago though.