Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting freesat dishes, etc

On 23/05/18 08:12, Martin Brown wrote:
On 22/05/2018 22:17, R D S wrote:
On 22/05/18 21:11, newshound wrote:
Wife wants a TV in one of her rooms. Our other two run off a
conventional terrestrial aerial but for various practical reasons I
am thinking about running this off a Freesat dish instead. I've never
installed a dish before, but it doesn't look like rocket science
(I've checked and it can go on the wall outside her window, or
possibly on a dormer window above it). Any particular advice on
hardware and installation? I'll be getting a smart TV with a freesat
tuner.

I fitted a dish but couldn't for the life of me line it up. Ended up
paying a guy £30.

It is fairly trivial if you can use a compass

many smart phones have magnetic compass chips

and/or you can buy a
satellite beacon device that sits inline with the power feed from the TV
and gives you audio beeps and signal strength when you get near. If you
are close enough that someone can shout the signal reading from the TV
then you could probably dispense with the signal meter. I wasn't.

If you have a compass and know where it is in azimuth and knw your
longitude then it is a lot easier to search along a single axis first
and then optimise after you have got some sort of signal. The main beam
isn't always quite where the nominal calibration says it will be.

Hard bit is mounting the thing rigidly onto the wall at a height.
(although it will work fine mounted on the wall at any height provided
that it has a clear line of sight to the geostationary satellite)

+1000 to all that. A meter inline with the LNB feed is going to be the
best way to fund tune the angles once you have acquired any sort of
signal at all.

Do bear in mind there are more than one satellite up there, and the one
you want is astra on 28.2E

http://www.satsig.net/maps/satellite...uk-ireland.htm

tells you (given where you are) where to start pointing it

Josef Stalin