C G

Default blue spark?

Punch wrote:

I have a new basement remodel,I have done the electrical ( this is my third
wiring job on different basements), and also I have had the wiring inspected
by the required electrical inspector (he said I did a better job then most
electricians).

Anyway, 3 days after he left and passed the wiring, I plugged in a shop
light, and a large blue spark shot out of the outlet, I tried a different
outlet and the same thing happened, any ideas whats going on???

The inspector just looked at the wiring and plugged in one of those tester
that light up, and said all was good (he also opened up the fuse panel and
checked the wiring there)

Since the outlets are testing ok, I can think of two possibilities:

1. Normal results when plugging in a live electrical device. It's not
unusual for some amount of spark when you plug in a live device. Try
the same test with some other light. Bring the shop light to another
part of the house, such as a bedroom, after dark and try the same test.
Try it with a vacuum. It's possible they've always done this, but you
just never noticed. This is the reason I tend to plug these puppies
into some kind of switchable outlet so I can turn them on and off.

2. Something wrong with the light.