Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Fitting freesat dishes, etc

On 22/05/2018 21:11, newshound wrote:
Wife wants a TV in one of her rooms. Our other two run off a
conventional terrestrial aerial but for various practical reasons I am
thinking about running this off a Freesat dish instead. I've never
installed a dish before, but it doesn't look like rocket science (I've
checked and it can go on the wall outside her window, or possibly on a
dormer window above it). Any particular advice on hardware and
installation? I'll be getting a smart TV with a freesat tuner.

---

I fitted my own dish with the help of a cheap satellite meter to get a
fine alignment
Example
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Analog-Sa...oAAOSwh2xYBxxA

It needs a power source, either your receiver/TV or a battery. I used an
old 12V battery previously removed from my alarm panel.

There are various Youtube videos showing how to use it and align a dish.

Probably buy a quad LNB even if your TV only has 1 input.

Same dish as sky, same cluster of satellites. I fitted a slightly bigger
zone 2 dish in a zone 1 area.

The dish doesn't need to be mounted high on a wall as long as it can see
the satellite. However, if on a street side probably fit it high enough
so vandals cannot jump up and swing on it.

Go to www.dishpointer.com
Put your postcode into the search box
Select the satellite(s) 28.2E Astra
Press search
You will get a map with a line pointing to the satellite
Zoom in on the map, with your mouse pick up the green blob at the end of
the line and drag it to where you are going to position your dish.

Use webro WF100 cable, or equivalent.

Basic instructions on fitting an F plug.
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fplugs.htm
Probably ignore the advice about using grease.