Peter Aitken

Default Bosch dishwashers

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
. ..
"Graham" wrote in
news:lRZFb.800517$9l5.708163@pd7tw2no:

"Thomas A Bruno" wrote in message
in article , Java
Man (Espressopithecus) at
wrote on 12/22/03 8:33 AM:

In article ,

says...
They claim scraping rather than rinsing prolongs the life of
glasses
and china.

I haven't been doing it long enough to know whether this is true.

Rick

Oh, this is hard to accept.

If you use a spatula only, doesn't the plate get "rinsed" in the
first 15 seconds of the dishwasher cycle, and then the detergent is
"eating away at the the finish" from then on?

What kind of dishes have such a delicate finish that dishwasher
detergent will erode them?
--

I started this etching thread and for me the only glassware items that
have been seriously etched have been the "pyrex" type, thick measuring

Graham

We have never pre-rinsed dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.
We have also experienced the same etching on measuring cups but on
absolutely nothing else. I've never understood why this seems to be a
"Pyrex" problem, when all other glassware, including heavier crystal,
shows no signs of etching. Strange...

Wayne

Etching is a function of the chemical composition of the glass - not all
glasses are the same, and in my experience it has nothing to do with the
quality or cost of the item. I've had cheap wine glasses that etch and
others that are still crystal clear after dozens of washing. Rule of thumb:
if you don't want it to etch, hand-wash it.

--
Peter Aitken