Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default Turbogenerators (was The Morris battery. Again.)

On 20/05/2018 19:14, Steve Walker wrote:
I don't know about power station generators, but when I was involved in
testing a couple of 3-phase, 60Hz, 11kV, 24MW generator sets for
North-sea oil rigs, they consisted of an RB211, exhausing into a DR-61
turbine and direct driving (according to the manufacturer's nameplate) a
"Brush AC Generator".

Oooh an expert

I always assumed that in those kind of tasks they just used the turbine
that normally drives the fan (which I assume isn't there!) Why not?
Doesn't it extract enough power?

Andy