View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster

Default Solved - removing wires from Molex connectors

Hi all

I was fitting a new defrost element to my fridge and it came with a Molex type connector already fitted. Trouble is that the manual stated that you had to remove one of the wires from the connector to fit the element - needed to route the wires correctly. Now why it didn't come disconnected in the first place ....

Anyway they said you needed some tool which was not supplied in the kit. After a lot of searching the web couldn't get anything I found to work. Either because mine was smaller than others or it didn't work for me. After trying various things I ended up cutting a bit of clear plastic from the an Easter egg box that was kicking around. It is the type used to create a clear plastic box rather than the ones that just surround the egg. Anyway, rolling into a cylinder the same size as the hole and then pushing it in such that it went between the plastic and the metal connector. It went in fairly easy without buckling and then pushed the barbs of the connector in and pulling the wire released it.

Thought I would post it here in case someone else is facing the same problem. Must have tried a dozen things and wasted a couple of hours before I got this sorted.

Thanks

Lee.